Proposal for the future of Fedora

Greg DeKoenigsberg greg.dekoenigsberg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 14:18:14 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 8:06 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com>wrote:

> I've heard more than one (non-developer) utter the phrase "Fedora is the
> only Linux distribution I've ever used that doesn't put any effort into
> ensuring that it works".

Please.  Let's not get into this game.  I saw with my own eyes as the
founder of Samba stood up at a Linux conference and harrangued another
prominent Linux distro for never even testing printing in a release and
letting obviously broken functionality, and the developer had no choice but
to nod and acknowledge it.  There was then a 20-minute discussion of QA
practices in that distro, and how the chief problem was one of not having
enough testers at release time.

Sure, Fedora could stand to see improved quality, as could all Linux
distros.  I think the proposal has merits to be debated -- but let's not
pretend that this is a problem unique to Fedora, because it most assuredly
is not.

--g