Proposal for the future of Fedora

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 19:17:42 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:09, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
>  On 08/23/2010 08:41 PM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>>
>> My apologies, that statement came out more inflammatory and damning than
>> I really intended it to be. I was merely trying to highlight that a lot
>> of people have a view of Fedora as sort of the "White Sands" of Linux.
>> They view it as where code goes until it's ready to be put into stable
>> releases. This is a public impression that we need to change.
>
> It is not very inaccurate.  We are certainly early adopters of new
> technology and sometimes it is rough around the edges.  We can either be
> more conservative or try and test things more vigorously.  Probably a
> combination of both would help.

It does not matter if it is not accurate or not. It is the one thing
that I get over and over from people who used some release and found
their system completely 'different' after a set of updates. "How can
you guys expect this to be the next Enterprise Linux?" Sure they each
want something new and cool on our system that no-one else has yet..
but they really only want that not everything else. All of them have
switched to 'other' OS's because while slower they could get better
stability on what they wanted to remain stable.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.