Board/FESCo mission/vision FAD

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 03:13:56 UTC 2010

Just a little bit ago on the Board's private list, the idea of a few
FAD's, funded by CommArch, was brought up. There's no reason to keep
this secret, so I wanted to bring the discussion over here :).

I think that both the FESCo and the Board are in agreement that we
have some very challenging short term issues to solve that would
benefit from face to face meetings between the relevant groups (but
not necessarily restricted to them). I'd generally try and push stuff
like this off to FUDCon, because that's part of what it's there for,
but these needs are more immediate than that.

First thing that we need to do is set an agenda, of which I think
there are two main tracks:

1) FESCo/Board empowerment - currently neither FESCo nor the Board
have resources that are actually at their disposal to make their
respective visions happen.
2) Implementation of a "stable release vision" - but this sort of
hinges on the first item - without resources to enforce a policy, what
good is it to have one?

We need a few things in order to have this FAD be successful
(paraphrasing Max here):

1) A clear, actionable objective for people to focus on with a
deadline (I think that I've named that in the two items - someone
correct me if I'm wrong)
2) The right people - we can't block on people that are not present.
3) A dedication to documentation and remote participation so that
people that can't be there but are concerned about the topic (which
for this would be A LOT of people, I'm sure :) ) can have input into
the proceedings and not have the results trapped in a few people's
heads.

In terms of logistics, I think that it makes sense to have this FAD
around Boston - there's a critical mass of Board/FESCo people around
there, as opposed to anywhere else, but I'm open to anything. Heck,
I'd love to have it in NYC so I don't have to travel :).

Anything else I've missed?