Board/FESCo mission/vision FAD

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Tue Aug 31 13:16:23 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:13 PM, Jon Stanley <jonstanley at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> 1) FESCo/Board empowerment - currently neither FESCo nor the Board
> have resources that are actually at their disposal to make their
> respective visions happen.

Jon:

Thanks for bringing this discussiong to f-a-b!

While in principle I don't see an inherent problem; it does cause some concern.
Essentially the board, like most leadership bodies of F/LOSS projects,
and volunteer organizations in general leads by convincing its members
that its vision and path for moving into the future is the correct
one, and one that's worth the community spending their time making
happen. I don't even think that it requires a majority of the group to
be convinced and motivated, but rather at least a small group moving
forward towards the objective.

As an outside observer, I am not sure that there is even consensus
between all the members of FESCo and the Board as to our direction,
which strikes me as a prerequisite. And if the Board and FESCo can't
convince a group of people to move forward with their vision
voluntarily, I worry that applying 'resources' is at best going to
mask this much larger problem, and potentially make it far worse.

David