Board/FESCo mission/vision FAD

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Aug 31 13:46:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 08:10:37 -0400,
  Jon Stanley <jonstanley at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a hard question - that's sort of what we're doing. FESCo
> actually has this problem today. I simply expanded the scope to
> include the Board, since I know for a fact that I can't tell anyone "I
> think this is important, please work on it" and have the request have
> any sort of weight. This was really geared more towards developer

I don't think that is true. Some of us spend at least some of our time
working on things that we were asked to do, before things we would just
do on our own. Currently a good chunk of my effort is in that category.

However sometimes asking doesn't get anyone to step up and it is useful
to be able to add incentives to encourage someone to do so.

> Also note that attendance (either in person or remotely) at such a FAD
> would *not* be restricted to simply Board/FESCo members. We're surely
> not some form of secret society that makes decisions without the
> advice of those impacted by them.

And to note for people that haven't been a remote participant in a FAD, it
can work pretty well if there is good documentation ahead of time so that you
can be prepared for the event. If you aren't fully up to speed ahead of
time, remote participation doesn't seem to work very well.