RFC: Organizational Changes – Engineering Service

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Fri Feb 5 18:48:16 UTC 2010

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 12:07:19 -0600 (CST)
Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:

...snip...

> Thought / comments?

I like this idea.

Some jobs I can think of off hand:

- Investigate fixing broken deps in packages in stable releases.
	This would include: Looking at the reason it's broken,
	contacting maintainer and educating them, working on fixes.

- Investigate broken deps in rawhide (ditto above).

- Targeted packaging fixes. Ie, compile a list of packages that are
  breaking a specific issue, contact maintainers to fix their packages,
  followup and cleanup the ones that don't get fixed by a time.

- Help watch/gather info about updates and report back to fesco and/or
  educate maintainers to our update guidelines.

- Gather info on Broken N-V-R upgrade paths and report back, come up
  with ways to automate report and/or educate maintainers about it.

- Investigate current fedora installs on netbooks and report back the
  experence and what we can do to improve it.

- Find VPS services that offer fedora instances and offer to help them
  provide current ones instead of end of life ones.

- Triage package reviews (especially ones that are needsponsor).
  Confirm the submittor still exists and ask them to do pre-reviews or
  submit more than one package.

I would image fesco could ask some people do these kinds of things and
then get a weekly report on it at the meeting. If the person ran out of
time or needs more help, more or less resources could be allocated.

So, just a off the cuff thought I think it could be usefull or worth
trying.

> 	-Mike

kevin