Board SWG Meeting 2010-02-08 Recap

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Mon Feb 8 22:48:09 UTC 2010

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Meeting:Board_stratgic_working_group_2010-02-08

== Roll Call ==

Attendees: John Poelstra, Matt Domsch, Mike McGrath, Paul Frields, Colin
Walters, Chris Tyler

== Status ==

* Matt and Colin have worked up some questions about Spins
** [[User:Walters/SpinsSigsRemixes_TargetAudience]]
** [[User:Walters/SpinsSigsRemixes_ChangeDistribution]]
** Would like to bring back some feedback by next week
* Mike checked in with websites team to see how latest design is going
** get.fedoraproject.org
** overall look and feel
** latest updates are in git repo

== Purpose of Strategy ==
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Poelstra/Importance_of_strategy
* Paul: "areas we want to emphasize" is too nebulous
* Matt: strategy is to rally the troops
* Paul: target audience discussion was to help refine strategy, the
means rather than the end
* Colin: is distinction between "Fedora Distro" and "Fedora Project" too
strong?
** Paul: There is a difference because the Project encompasses people
who aren't necessarily working on the direction of the distro -- for
example, people who are building processes for free/open marketing,
which isn't constrained to the distro
* '''NEXT ACTIONS''': Paul will take a shot at moving page to conclusion

== Next Steps for Personas ==
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Poelstra/Target_audience_personas
* John is the owner of this proposal
* John: unclear how much we can rely on this without a leader to move it
forward who's experienced in UX design
* Matt: personas make a lot of sense for specific spins.  Could this be
a good tool for spins to use?
* Colin: may want to consider personas for general purpose spins/Fedora
general audience
* John: understand the ''personas'' to be for identifying users of the
''default'' distribution
* Paul: Personas were meant to provide a smooth interface between user
attraction and expectations we set up in our basic web pages (front and
get), with the actual experience of running the default distribution
** We can continue without, but personas would make it easier in the
future to tune that work
* '''NEXT ACTIONS''':
*# John will email advisory-board list seeking help with carrying
personas work forward.
*# If there are no responses, the Board still recognizes the value of
the work done so far and will retain it, while moving on with its
strategic work.

== Next Steps for ''Discussion of Default Offering'' ==
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/Different_default_offering
* Paul is the owner of this proposal
* Review page for pros and cons
* Colin: In the future could we create some criteria that would help
guide the process of selecting a change in the default behavior of an
application or subsystem?
** criteria: Does the upstream project share our values?  How active is
upstream?  (these are semi-lame but anyways)
** Paul: Would see the criteria Colin brings up as a decision belonging
to FESCo
* '''NEXT ACTIONS''':
*# SWG members asked to go over risk/benefit analysis carefully and add
comments as desired
*# Request board discussion at next meeting:
*#* Does the board as a whole agree with the conclusion of the wiki page
that the Desktop Spin should continue as Fedora's default distribution
offering?

== Next Week's Discussion ==
* Matt: Feedback gathered from Spins discussions
* Chris:  [[User:Ctyler/draft/what_is_fedora_the_distro]]

== Next SWG Meeting ==
* 2010-02-15 @ 3 PM EST
* John will NOT be at Thursday board meeting.
** Colin will represent SWG at board meeting if there are any questions
about progress, etc., beyond what is in the meeting notes