#fedora and freenode registration

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Feb 11 20:21:22 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 12:30 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> People who are not registered with freenode who try and /join #fedora
> will be redirected to the #fedora-unregistered channel. There they
> will be given a welcome message explaining that they need to register
> to join #fedora. The topic of the channel points to registration
> information. A automated bot sends a message to that channel every
> 10min with further instructions on how to register. Additionally,
> there are some of the regular #fedora helpers in channel there to help
> people get registered.

Just a note on this.  Two different proxy solutions I've used managed to
attempt joining a restricted channel before the nick auth step has
completed, thus bouncing me into the unregistered channel.  It takes a
moment or three to realize this is what happened, /and/ which channel I
didn't quite succeed in auto joining.  Is there any way to make this
auto message somewhat dynamic to tell what channel you tried to join and
got bounced from?  Also can we add some info about use of proxies and
the timing of channel joining?

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!