#fedora and freenode registration

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Thu Feb 11 20:54:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:21:22 -0800
Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> Just a note on this.  Two different proxy solutions I've used managed
> to attempt joining a restricted channel before the nick auth step has
> completed, thus bouncing me into the unregistered channel.  It takes a
> moment or three to realize this is what happened, /and/ which channel
> I didn't quite succeed in auto joining.  Is there any way to make this
> auto message somewhat dynamic to tell what channel you tried to join
> and got bounced from?  Also can we add some info about use of proxies
> and the timing of channel joining?

Yes to both.

Wording changes welcome for any/all of:

- Welcome message to the #fedora-unregistered channel.
Currently:

You have been redirected to the #fedora-unregistered channel because
you are not registered with freenode. See http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup
for information on how to do this.

- Topic of #fedora-unregistered:

You should register: http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup to be able to
join #fedora for support. See http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup
after you have registered and receive your confirmation e-mail you will
need to /msg NickServ identify <password> and then rejoin #fedora
| DO NOT click on spammed links | This is not a support Channel

- Message every 10minutes:

You have been redirected to this channel (#fedora-unregistered) because
you are not registered with freenode. You should register
( see http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup ) and then /join #fedora for support.
If you have identified and are still getting sent to this channel your client is misconfigured
please see http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#identify. Sorry for the trouble.

Kevin