#fedora and freenode registration

Justin O'Brien three at threethirty.us
Thu Feb 11 21:52:23 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 12:30 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Just a followup here to this thread for input/comment.
>
> Freenode has switched over to their new ircd and the spam attacks have
> been reduced a good deal, but still occur from time to time.
>
> The current setup is:
>
> People who are not registered with freenode who try and /join #fedora
> will be redirected to the #fedora-unregistered channel. There they
> will be given a welcome message explaining that they need to register
> to join #fedora. The topic of the channel points to registration
> information. A automated bot sends a message to that channel every
> 10min with further instructions on how to register. Additionally,
> there are some of the regular #fedora helpers in channel there to help
> people get registered.
>
> The IRC Support SIG would like to keep this current setup in place.
>
> Registering with freenode is a pretty easy requirement, very like to
> signing up for a mailing list or creating a forum account to receive
> support from those channels.
>
> The main support channel has been a good deal more productive with this
> change I think, not getting distracted by drive by trolls, spammers
> and other off topic junk.
>
> Does the Board (or any other interested folks) have any problems with
> us leaving the setup this way?
>
> Happy to answer any questions about the setup or alternative methods to
> keep #fedora productive as a support resource for Fedora.
>
> kevin

I think that this puts a barrier between users that need help and those
who can help.  I think we should just have a couple of trigger happy ops
and take no BS.

Fedora as is all about the community and i dont think that we should
build a barrier between us and potential contributors.

--
Justin "threethirty" O'Brien
Fedora Ambassador
threethirty at fedoraproject.org