#fedora and freenode registration

Robert 'Bob' Jensen bob at fedoraunity.org
Fri Feb 12 00:12:30 UTC 2010

----- "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Trigger happy" doesn't sound like a measured approach, although I
> definitely sympathize with your feelings toward people messing up our
> help channels. :-)  We bear at least some responsibility for making
> sure people in the help channel aren't tricked or victimized by
> attackers.  Since we can't guarantee 24-hour coverage by ops, it's a
> good idea to try and make people there a little safer as a default.
>
> Someone already suggested one way to mitigate the problem, which is
> spit out a more useful message when the user is shunted suddently to
> the unregistered channel.  A URL pointing to a wiki page with simple
> instructions for getting registered should be included.  The
> admonition "register your nick" is not helpful or adequate.

The cuurent does not just say "register your nick" and the current implementation has bever said only that.

The channel topic is: You should register: http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup to be able to join #fedora for support. See http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup  after you have registered and receive your confirmation e-mail you will need to /msg NickServ identify <password> and then rejoin #fedora | DO NOT click on spammed links | This is not a support Channel

The spews: You have been redirected to this channel (#fedora-unregistered) because you are not registered with freenode. You should register ( see http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup ) and then /join #fedora for support. If you have identified and are still getting sent to this channel your client is misconfigured please see http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#identify. Sorry for the trouble.

Chanserv tells the user when they join: [#fedora-unregistered] You have been redirected to the #fedora-unregistered because you are not registered with freenode. See http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup for information on how to do this.

I am not sure how much more clear it can be.

-- Bob

|       Robert 'Bob' Jensen        ||       Fedora Unity Founder       |
|       bob at fedoraunity.org        ||      http://fedoraunity.org/     |
|                   http://bjensen.fedorapeople.org/                   |
|                http://blogs.fedoraunity.org/bobjensen                |
|                   http://www.facebook.com/rpjensen                   |