Response to "Getting Fedora Out of the If-Then Loop"

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Feb 18 22:51:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 16:17 -0600, Adam Miller wrote:
> Nope, not at all. I work on it because it interests me and I do have
> hopes that others will enjoy the results just as those who put in the
> effort to make it happen, but I don't have the unrealistic expectation
> for the Spin(s) that I work on to take over the market share of the
> prom queen. This is honestly part of why I asked the question you
> quoted because if the end goal is to stop the Spins in their tracks
> then I will simply move from "Spin" to "Remix" with a different logo
> set as to not walk on the lines of TM issues. It makes no difference
> to me, I think it would be a bit of a slap in the face to some but it
> bothers me absolutely zero. I get to do what I want, contribute to
> Fedora and my over all desktop experience doesn't change (I would just
> miss the pretty Fedora logo).

I don't get the impression that the board wants spins to stop.  Far from
it.  What I think the board wants is to help settle vision and focus and
arguments when a spin wants a package to work one way, and the default
offering wants the package to work another way.  In these scenarios
there needs to be a default, a target to shoot for, an experience we're
trying to provide in our default offering, and that needs to "win" over
a spin which focuses on something else.  Or at least this is one benefit
to defining a target audience.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!