Response to "Getting Fedora Out of the If-Then Loop"

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 19 06:36:33 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 16:17 -0600, Adam Miller wrote:
>> Nope, not at all. I work on it because it interests me and I do have
>> hopes that others will enjoy the results just as those who put in the
>> effort to make it happen, but I don't have the unrealistic expectation
>> for the Spin(s) that I work on to take over the market share of the
>> prom queen. This is honestly part of why I asked the question you
>> quoted because if the end goal is to stop the Spins in their tracks
>> then I will simply move from "Spin" to "Remix" with a different logo
>> set as to not walk on the lines of TM issues. It makes no difference
>> to me, I think it would be a bit of a slap in the face to some but it
>> bothers me absolutely zero. I get to do what I want, contribute to
>> Fedora and my over all desktop experience doesn't change (I would just
>> miss the pretty Fedora logo).
>
> I don't get the impression that the board wants spins to stop.  Far from
> it.  What I think the board wants is to help settle vision and focus and
> arguments when a spin wants a package to work one way, and the default
> offering wants the package to work another way.  In these scenarios
> there needs to be a default, a target to shoot for, an experience we're
> trying to provide in our default offering, and that needs to "win" over
> a spin which focuses on something else.  Or at least this is one benefit
> to defining a target audience.
<snip>

As far as saying that the default image will win over others in terms
of packaging or technical reason, I completely agree that this should
be in place but I thought that's how it was now. It is however
*highly* possible that I'm just incorrect in that thought process.

Uhmmm... that was really just a random side thought ... but over all +1

-AdamM

--
http://maxamillion.googlepages.com