Response to "Getting Fedora Out of the If-Then Loop"

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 15:41:43 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 02:13:40PM -0600, Adam Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Adam Miller wrote:
> >
> >> I'm just going to be straight with it, would the Board be happier if
> >> the entire Spins SIG closed up shop and we got KDE, Xfce, LXDE, or
> >> anything else that were to pop up completely out of the repositories
> >> so that we can focus on the golden child? Is that what this is about?
> >> Because at this point I'm just tired of the ambiguity and if that is
> >> what's desired, then lets just say it and move on.
> >>

> > I'm actually generally unhappy with our 'golden child' and have been a
> > happy KDE user for years.  Adam, your response... and responses from
> > others... have been entirely fear based and I can assure you without
> > merit.  We really are just trying to address the problems we've identified
> > to make Fedora better.  Some have argued that there isn't a problem.
> > AFAIK not a single member of the board agrees with that so we continue to
> > look and do our best.
>
> I honestly don't know why you continue to use the word "fear" because
> fear has nothing to do with this, I don't fear the Boards decision
> because they don't dictate how I spend my free time or how I
> contribute to Fedora.

That's great Adam, because not only do we not do that, we don't want
to.  Trying to clarify on what we want to focus scant resources, and
why, is something that the community has asked for repeatedly, both
directly and indirectly.  But I don't see how it could possibly be
beneficial to drive contributors away by disallowing them to work on
what they love.

> All I have ever done through out this entire obfuscated campaign in
> search of a defined "target audience" is ask questions for
> clarification. I'm not here to yell and freak out about what the
> Board is doing, I still don't know enough to really start doing that
> or decide that I like what's going on and go along with it.  I am
> not here to undermine the Board, just ask questions about things
> that concern me so that I can attempt to understand where the Board
> is coming from and where they are trying to go.

We generated this list here some time ago through soliciting community
input and parsing through some of the difficult discussions of the
last year:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Unfinished_Board_issues

The Board formed a working group to make headway on these issues
because a single weekly meeting wasn't allowing us to do that.  We're
making steady progress each week, and we work on all of this
transparently.  I believe that Matt Domsch, in fact, has been
discussing one of our current issues with the Spins SIG directly on
their list.  I certainly hope you're taking the opportunity to be
involved there if it's of interest.