Response to "Getting Fedora Out of the If-Then Loop"

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 19 16:14:35 UTC 2010

Hi Thomas,

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 16:40 +0100, Thomas Janssen wrote:
> Sorry. But reading a lot of you GNOME/Desktop guys, and especially you
> here, it comes down to (at least for me) "i'm afraid of losing my
> default status and/or i have no idea about the other side so i will do
> everything that the situation stays as it is". Poor.

1) I am not a guy.

2) I am not on the desktop team.

3) We're talking about a difference between 20+ Fedora folks working
full-time on GNOME vs I believe 5 or less for each of the other
desktops. As I said, these are not transferrable resources.

> > There's a reality here that's not being acknowledged, and it has little
> > to do with popularity. I hope folks who work on XFCE or KDE in Fedora
> > don't come into those projects with the expectation that the same amount
> > of resources are dedicated to those as the desktop spin - because that's
> > never been true, and I sure hope they've not been misled into thinking
> > so.
>
> Well, gladly there are other projects where things like that just
> works. For example openSUSE.
>
> But i would be interested in what you think what will happen with
> Fedora if all the unwanted (it sounds exactly like that to me)
> developers leave and Fedora is left behind with only GNOME?
> Is that your perfect future?

Who said any developers were unwanted?

What a logical leap!

~m