Response to "Getting Fedora Out of the If-Then Loop"

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 19 16:44:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 17:35 +0100, Thomas Janssen wrote:
> > 1) I am not a guy.
>
> Looks like my english is really too bad. I thought you say that "you
> guys" even with girls involved.

That kind of language is generally accepted as being exclusionary -
gender-neutral language is much preferred.

> > 3) We're talking about a difference between 20+ Fedora folks working
> > full-time on GNOME vs I believe 5 or less for each of the other
> > desktops. As I said, these are not transferrable resources.
>
> Get's me a picture of how awesome our works is.

You miss the point.

> But anyways. I'm glad that i'm reading someone who decides at RH who
> works on what.

I don't really know what you mean by that last sentence but it seems
you're making an incorrect assumption.

> > Who said any developers were unwanted?
> >
> > What a logical leap!
>
> Not at all. All you get back here is the impression you made.
> But i see.

I can't see how I possibly could have made that impression without
pent-up angst on the part of the reader being mixed in.

The only people I see saying 'unwanted' 'pushed out' in this thread are
the folks who are on alternate desktop spins side. I don't see that
language being used by anyone else. I certainly didn't use it. I have no
problem with alternative desktops. As a user experience practitioner,
however, I have a big problem with the lack of focus we've historically
had - it confuses potential new users and we lose them to the simplicity
of other distros whose focus is more clear.

That being said, I along with sijis from the websites team personally
invested a *ton* of time and effort into the spins.fedoraproject.org
redesign to make sure our spins look just as sexy as the default
install. But go ahead, keep believing that I would rather the spins go
away.

~m