Response to "Getting Fedora Out of the If-Then Loop"

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 18:05:27 UTC 2010

2010/2/19 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
> On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 16:40 +0100, Thomas Janssen wrote:
>> > There's a reality here that's not being acknowledged, and it has little
>> > to do with popularity. I hope folks who work on XFCE or KDE in Fedora
>> > don't come into those projects with the expectation that the same amount
>> > of resources are dedicated to those as the desktop spin - because that's
>> > never been true, and I sure hope they've not been misled into thinking
>> > so.
>>
>> Well, gladly there are other projects where things like that just
>> works. For example openSUSE.
>>
>> But i would be interested in what you think what will happen with
>> Fedora if all the unwanted (it sounds exactly like that to me)
>> developers leave and Fedora is left behind with only GNOME?
>> Is that your perfect future?
>
> Who said any developers were unwanted?

No one ever says anyone is unwanted.

But, as Greg pointed out in this thread (with my possibly completely
wrong interpretation), contributors during discussions like these get
a sense that the wind is changing direction and can feel that their
efforts are being marginalized or that they are not as appreciated as
they have been in the past.

It isn't easy to pinpoint what things accumulate over time to create
this feeling.

John