Response to "Getting Fedora Out of the If-Then Loop"

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Fri Feb 19 18:45:20 UTC 2010

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Josh Boyer wrote:

> And don't think I'm sitting here being some kind of status quo
> sympathizer.  I know first hand what it's like to have resources either
> shift away from something you care about or not be at the same level as
> other things inherently.  It happend with PPC.  However, I also know
> that it is something that is going to happen from time to time and
> pretending that we as a project could magically make everything be equal
> is going to both fail and just feed into more bad blood.  Interests and
> time will fall where people have interest and time.

Some resources are not zero-sum.  Package maintaners, for instance.  Want
more package maintainers for Xfce packages?  Go find them and convince
them to help.

Some resources are zero-sum.  Want to be on the front page of fp.o?  Too
bad; there's only so much space.  Also: disk space.

The key challenge, IMHO, is to provide reasonable access to zero-sum
resources to as many projects as possible, while maintaining a focus on
the critical path, as the Board has defined it: i.e. the best possible
experience for the most popular and well-resourced spin.  The definition
of "reasonable" will always be the subject of healthy debate.

I believe that there *is* a great deal of sensitivity to providing
resources for spins.  There are continuing plans to raise the profile of
the spins page; those plans just haven't all been implemented yet.  Look
at the design of spins.fp.o; it's fantastic, and we clearly would not see
that degree of work if it were throwaway.  We just haven't had time to
revamp the rest of the site yet to take advantage.

--g

--
Educational materials should be high-quality, collaborative, and free.
Visit http://opensource.com/education and join the conversation.