spins.fpo visibility (was Re: Response to "Getting Fedora Out of the If-Then Loop")

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 19 20:29:27 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 14:51 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 11:44:25AM -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > That being said, I along with sijis from the websites team personally
> > invested a *ton* of time and effort into the spins.fedoraproject.org
> > redesign to make sure our spins look just as sexy as the default
> > install.
>
> And it looks fantastic:  http://spins.fedoraproject.org
>
> As was planned and reported here in the past several times, when the
> whole redesign is finished all the sites will match this level of
> awesome.  Everyone felt it was important to prioritize the spins site
> *first*, not *last*.

A point made more visible here is that we had a redesign of both get.fpo
and www.fpo planned to happen in conjunction with the spins.fpo website
to ensure traffic was directed towards spins.fpo.

Because of time and resource constraints during the F12 cycle, the
spins.fpo site was implemented as a bit of an 'island' so the drivers to
the site we'd had planned (banners on the main www.fpo site and get.fpo
page) never happened. Whoops. (I assure you this was not due to malice,
more many rushed, late nights and a failure on my part to plan out a
proper plan B instead of leaving those threads to spins.fpo completely
loose.)

So I would like to propose that we make some extremely short-term
changes to get.fpo right now, as we strive towards the full get.fpo [1]
and www.fpo [2] redesigns that will drive traffic to and integrate with
spins.fpo in the fashion we'd originally intended:

- Where it says, 'KDE fans, go here!' on the current get.fpo, we replace
that text with: 'Go to KDE and other spins!' and it will instead link to
spins.fpo -
 http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

- On the buttom of the column of blue buttons on the right, we place the
attached banner to link users over to spins.fpo

Do these proposals seem a reasonable short-term solution while we wait
on the full website revamp?

~m

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Website_redesign_2009/Mockups/Get.fpo
[2] http://mairin.wordpress.com/2009/08/08/fedora-website-design-ideas/