Response to "Getting Fedora Out of the If-Then Loop"

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 19 21:47:31 UTC 2010

Am Donnerstag, den 18.02.2010, 20:44 -0500 schrieb Máirín Duffy:

> There's a reality here that's not being acknowledged, and it has little
> to do with popularity. I hope folks who work on XFCE or KDE in Fedora
> don't come into those projects with the expectation that the same amount
> of resources are dedicated to those as the desktop spin - because that's
> never been true, and I sure hope they've not been misled into thinking
> so.

No, I never expected to get the same amount of resources than the
default spin, because this would be a preferential treatment of the Xfce
or LXDE users compared to the large majority of our users. But I do
expect to get at least *some* resources and some support for the things
I work on. Instead I feel like the spins are treated as Fedora's unloved
stepchildren.

> If I go to a Honda dealer in order to buy a Chevy I saw an ad for in
> the paper, I do go with the full understanding that they're a Honda
> dealership and don't argue with the dealer that he should have that used
> Cobalt in red, blue, and silver as well as black.

This is a (rather) lopsided comparison. The Honda dealer exclusively
advertises Honda and no Chevys. The Honda dealer is a Honda dealer
because he signed an exclusive contract with Honda. Honda dealer has
"Honda" in his name.

Are we called "Gnomedora"? Have we signed a contract with Gnome? Do we
advertise Gnome exclusively?

Regards,
Christoph