Response to "Getting Fedora Out of the If-Then Loop"

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Feb 19 22:31:50 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 23:18 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> The spins SIG offered to take over testing of the spins, but so far
> there has been no agreement between spins SIG and rel-eng.
>
> > Further, you are the primary creator of the Spin.  Why _wouldn't_ you test
> > it?
>
> Because me as the primary creator was not even aware of the images.
> Nobody in rel-eng bothered to contact the spin owners after they created
> the images, so the owners were not able to test them.

This isn't really the venue for discussing this, but I don't recall
seeing anything in my inbox or a releng meeting or a QA meeting that I
attended where there was any discussion of "taking over" testing.  I'm
not sure you can really "take over" something that doesn't exist.

Can there be better communication between releng and others, sure.  Do I
expect you to be able to download and test every image we create?  No.
Do I expect that as repos change and packages move around testing is
done of the images?  Yes.  Spins was supposed to be a very light load on
releng, we were leaving everything to the spin sig, and at release time
we'd just come along and spin up the images and push 'em out.  I'm sorry
if there was an expectation beyond that.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!