Response to "Getting Fedora Out of the If-Then Loop"

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 23:52:02 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 05:17:05PM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> > > What marketing was done for the desktop spin?
> >
> > Nearly everything marketing does, targets the default spin which IS the
> > desktop spin.
> >

> I call bs.  Show it to me.

Can we ratchet down the rhetoric a bit?

Thank you.

Our talking points genearlly list splits between "Desktop
users/Everyone" and other groups such as "Sysadmins" and "Developers."
The latter groups have included things like virt improvements,
NetBeans, SystemTap, MinGW, and Moksha in F13 and previous releases.
None of those are found on the Desktop spin.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talking_points_for_F10
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F11_Talking_Points
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F12_talking_points
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F13_talking_points

The "Desktop users/Everyone" list of talking points usually includes a
list of innovative features for better desktop productivity and
experience.  They're found in the Desktop spin because the people in
the Desktop SIG create a lot of that code from scratch.

As someone who participates in marketing activities I've spent a
substantial amount of times promoting not only specific new spins when
they premiere in Fedora, but also the idea of remixability in general.
Not everyone apparently agrees with that strategy at this point, but
please Christoph, I ask that you not point fingers at other teams in
Fedora.  It's counterproductive and not in the spirit of our
community.