Response to "Getting Fedora Out of the If-Then Loop"

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 05:05:48 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>>
>>  * Little support by marketing: Was there ever done any marketing for the spins?
>>

> What marketing was done for the desktop spin?
>
>        -Mike

I'm not defending what was done (or lack thereof). I was just quoting
the cited email where the question was asked if there was any
marketing done for the spins, and responding with "I don't know, but
by all means, be more bold in your asking for marketing support in the
future." :)

I don't want to bang the "lack of resources" drum here too much,
because I know everybody is in the same boat. (Frankly, it's not a bad
boat to be in - the boat where we have a lot of creative people, with
excellent ideas, and lots of determination. Things could be worse,
folks!) Most of the marketing folks are -very- part time. Our
community is growing, though, and we're doing the best we can right
now to organize what resources we have around the requests we get, and
to get a better workflow on what we do, and have resources like SOPs
available so that new contributors can hop in and get started.

We do have a Marketing FAD planned for mid-March; I think what we're
talking about here, which is essentially marketing support for spins
and / or projects / features, is important enough that we can carve
out some time to discuss how we can better support development and
spins SIGs with marketing materials and promotions. I've created a
wiki page to kick off some brainstorming on ideas.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_support_brainstorm

At the Marketing FAD, we should (we're going to have to carve time out
here, or schedule an online day where we can discuss this) come up
with an action plan of sorts; specifically, lay out the various
services we could provide, what kind of time those requests would
take, and come up with a schedule that we can agree upon with another
group (Spins sig? FESCo? Taking ideas here...) that is realistic in
terms of taking requests and providing deliverables in a reasonable
time frame that is agreeable to everyone.

Bottom line: If anyone here has ideas on what potential requests would
look like, what kind of time-frame things would be needed in, general
gripes, ponies, etc., please add your commentary to the listed wiki
page so we can take it into account.  Marketing is not perfect. We're
working on it :) , but we need to know what help you need and how to
give it to you :) Tell us!