Response to "Getting Fedora Out of the If-Then Loop"

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Feb 20 06:01:22 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 16:40:34 -0500,
  Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Can I ask you a question:
>
> Do you work on non-default spins with the expectation/hope that someday
> it will be crowned prom queen / I mean be the default spin?

I work on the games spin because I was asked to.

My expectation of the games spin is that it is a demo that's a bit more
enticing than the normal desktop spin. It also provides a way to test how
well your hardware is supported as the 3d games show off how well the
free drivers do or don't work with specific hardware.

Once you have Fedora installed, then you can pull in whatever games you
want. (There isn't room for all of them on a 4 GiB iso.)

I also like to make custom spins and for that I have been trying to make
livecd-creator work better. In particular pushing for support for > 4 GiB
live images and trying to get lzma support. I eventually want to get some
changes into livecd-iso-to-disk to make it handle ext4 and ntfs out of the
box, but that is lower priority. Since mostly my custom spins are heavy on
games, working on the official games spin isn't far out of my way, so I
am willing to work on it.