Response to "Getting Fedora Out of the If-Then Loop"

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Sat Feb 20 07:35:48 UTC 2010

On Saturday 20 February 2010 12:09:03 am Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 22:43 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > There is no official document that says this, but there is at least one
> > board member who claimed that "spins are a detriment to Fedora". He
> > didn't outline why he thinks so, but the statement still stands. And it
> > hurts, at least for the people who work on the different spins.
>
> I normally avoid threads like this like the plague, and I'm not on the
> board, but I will tell you why _I_ consider spins as currently
> implemented to be detrimental to Fedora. And please, don't take this as
> a personal attack on the hard work that some of the current spin
> maintainers do; I'm trying to say that the decision to adopt spins as
> the solution to our direction problem was a strategic mistake.

Not on board neither, usually avoiding threads like this too :D

> - Having a bunch of alternative spins and no clear default is poison for
> the Fedora brand. It leads to ambassadors handing out their personal
> favorite spin instead of the default spin and selling it as 'Fedora'.
> To have any wider success, 'Fedora' must have a very clear meaning.
> Currently, 'Fedora' can mean any number of things.
>
> - It splits us into a bunch of small fiefdoms where each group works on
> their thing, instead of working on a common product. And knowledge of
> what other groups do is often limited to hearsay and second-guessing.
>
> - To a non-geek user, the choice of LXDE vs XFCE vs KDE vs Gnome makes
> no sense whatsoever. 'A system tailored for Electrical Engineering' vs
> 'A system tailored for Astronomy' might make some more sense, but still,
> the mostly likely takeaway from a set of choices like that is 'not for
> me'.

Yes, I agree - as I already have written - let's have main Fedora branded -
default distro defined as set of best available software - platform based on
current spins (G, K, L, s, g)... Let's work together - every team should
commit to this default Fedora. But please do not say any of current spis is
suitable to be this default distro. Please no G spin = default, K spin should
be default.

And it was Fedora before live medias... I know - few years ago there was one
big technical constraint - size of CD. It's over.

For purists - allow pure G, K, whatever spins too.

Jaroslav