Request for help with Fedora Personas

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 13:29:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 5:41 AM, Gregory Zysk <gmzysk at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> 2010/2/24 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>

>> > My understanding of personas (which is limited I'm sure) is that they
>> > get some sort of initial creation, and then are refined over time.
>> > I'm not sure whether that means they can be directly translated to a
>> > FAD.
>> >

>> Could be a FAD to get the initial research and persona set created
>> though?
>>
> A FAD could be a start point to what I understand about "Personas". The main
> thing here is a research gameplan (methodology and data sets) must be
> designed and pretty much solidified before the FAD. At the FAD, the
> "Personas" plan should be introduced, along with comments and suggestions
> taken. Then, a week after to polish up the gameplan and then
> implementation.
> We need this in line, from a marketing perspective, in order to build on the
> concept. The concept must be solid in order to have a stable base to
> innovate from. Adversely, if the "personas" is not in line at the time of
> the FAD, then you stand to loose interest and momentum for your
> project/study.
> You know the saying; "You only get one chance to make a first impression"
> Gregory

I think most of this heavy lifting has already been done.  As with
most FADs, we'd probably have a pre-FAD irc meeting to get a grip on
what loose ends need to be tied up prior to FAD-goodness-time.

If you're interested in seeing what they've been up to so far,
methodologies, etc, https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_Research_Plan
has all the information.   This thread was mostly to say, "Hey, it
would be awesome to have a couple of pre-canned ideas for activities
Fedora community members can do when they're hanging out, and this one
at first glance seems to fit the time limitations of a one-day FAD
activity,"  ... not to figure out a how-to, especially since they've
already got some interviews completed, etc. Of coruse, I'm sure that
any feedback would be welcomed on the wiki, so that if / when we have
a group of people with resources to do this, they have that
information in mind.

(Actually, I guess I didn't say the part about pre-canned ideas for
Fedora friends to execute on, but, oh, I just did! Maybe we could add
a list of "projects that need loving that could be done at a FAD" on
one of the events / FAD pages?)

I just hate to see the effort and good idea be shelved, when it seems
like there would likely be time at some event to get this to come to
fruition.