Request for help with Fedora Personas

Gregory Zysk gmzysk at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 24 13:51:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Robyn Bergeron <robyn.bergeron at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 5:41 AM, Gregory Zysk <gmzysk at fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:

> be
> FAD

> list

> >> Could be a FAD to get the initial research and persona set created
> >> though?
> >>
> > A FAD could be a start point to what I understand about "Personas". The
> main
> > thing here is a research gameplan (methodology and data sets) must be
> > designed and pretty much solidified before the FAD. At the FAD, the
> > "Personas" plan should be introduced, along with comments and suggestions
> > taken. Then, a week after to polish up the gameplan and then
> > implementation.
> > We need this in line, from a marketing perspective, in order to build on
> the
> > concept. The concept must be solid in order to have a stable base to
> > innovate from. Adversely, if the "personas" is not in line at the time of
> > the FAD, then you stand to loose interest and momentum for your
> > project/study.
> > You know the saying; "You only get one chance to make a first impression"
> > Gregory
> >

> I think most of this heavy lifting has already been done.  As with
> most FADs, we'd probably have a pre-FAD irc meeting to get a grip on
> what loose ends need to be tied up prior to FAD-goodness-time.
>
> If you're interested in seeing what they've been up to so far,
> methodologies, etc, https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_Research_Plan
> has all the information.

I do not see a methodology here. What I see is conclusions. I will try and
make an analogy here, since it seems to work with other technical people.
The methdodology is like the spec file, you need it to know where you are
going and what to build. On a greater scale the methodology could be viewed
as the base or in this field the kernel. You need it, to build everything
off of.

With this in mind, I see conclusions on the research plan. For instance, the
First thing listed is Fedora's target audience. These are conclusions. I
would like to see the methodology behind these conclusions. So, how did you
come to these conclusions? You obviously had a survey or interviews. You
asked questions, but what methodology did you set to know which questions to
ask. You need a stable and firm methodology or all is just guesswork. In the
field of marketing, everything has to be backed up by fact and science, if
it is going to be legitimate. The reason you want legitimacy, is so other
professionals can add to it, understand it and recognize it as a standard.
Once this standard is recognized, many other projects inside of the
Fedoraproject will gain legitimacy and momentum. For example, education and
the POSSE project. If you want professors from universities to get on board
with Fedora, you must have your scientific research in line, if not, I am
afraid they will be reluctant to get involved.

This thread was mostly to say, "Hey, it
> would be awesome to have a couple of pre-canned ideas for activities
> Fedora community members can do when they're hanging out, and this one
> at first glance seems to fit the time limitations of a one-day FAD
> activity,"  ... not to figure out a how-to, especially since they've
> already got some interviews completed, etc. Of coruse, I'm sure that
> any feedback would be welcomed on the wiki, so that if / when we have
> a group of people with resources to do this, they have that
> information in mind.

Still seems shaky to me, and not so water tight.

> (Actually, I guess I didn't say the part about pre-canned ideas for
> Fedora friends to execute on, but, oh, I just did! Maybe we could add
> a list of "projects that need loving that could be done at a FAD" on
> one of the events / FAD pages?)
>
> I just hate to see the effort and good idea be shelved, when it seems
> like there would likely be time at some event to get this to come to
> fruition.
>
> That is why it need to be done properly and not hastily. Like I said above;
"You only get one chance to make a first impression" This is the very
essence of marketing ;-)