Response to "Getting Fedora Out of the If-Then Loop"

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Thu Feb 25 22:25:46 UTC 2010

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Luke Macken wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 05:11:50PM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > If you care about $SPIN then 99.9% of your work should be concerned with
> > the post-install experience.  Live media is neat, and useful as a
> > trial/marketing tool.  But they shouldn't be the primary way we're
> > distributing our product.
>
> Not exactly, Mike.  Sure, you can install the Security Spin if you want,
> but if you're doing a forensic analysis of a box, live media is
> essential.

That use case is fine.  The use case where spins are using the spins as a
way to do installs because of how horribly broken comps is if you're not a
gnome user or because of technical issues in the dvd is less fine.

Some SIGs are using the spins as a way to route around how horribly broken
some of our core OS infrastructure is where instead we should be fixing
that stuff.

	-Mike