Fedora Board Strategic Working Group

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Tue Jan 12 04:49:07 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 12:39:36PM -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
> Following up on my post earlier this week
> http://poelcat.wordpress.com/2010/01/06/the-fedora-board-so-far/ and
> discussion at yesterday's board IRC meeting, I am proposing the
> following "working group" meeting of the board to satisfactorily address
> and close out the "What is Fedora" and "Target Audience" agenda items.
>
> I'm proposing that the meeting be structured as described below.  I'm
> posting here to give visibility to our processes as a board and ask
> which board members would like to participate.... please reply here if
> you want to participate.

I'm in.

While I'll re-iterate this in the discussions, I do think that we can
accommodate more than one "target audience" within the umbrella of
Fedora.  Remixes can already define their own target audience, and can
make essentially any changes they desire to meet the needs of their
audience, but that's because they are generally explicitly not outputs
of the Fedora Project itself.

Spins (today) have the technical implementation detail that all their
packages must come from the one repository that is Everything, which
might limit what they can do if they have needs that conflict with the
"default spin" (i.e. Desktop).  I think there can be ways devised (by
FESCo, Spins SIG, Rel-Eng, or other interested parties) to address
this, if it proves to be a problem in practice.  I don't know if it
is - perhaps members of the Spins SIG can enlighten us.

-Matt