fedora community working group

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Wed Jul 7 15:46:27 UTC 2010

On 07/07/2010 10:16 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> I'm still not sold on a code per se,

At the risk of being repetitive, let me go into more why I firmly
believe we need this badly.  I'd like to think that many(some?) of those
folks that can be coerced/taught to be community-friendly simply do not
know what they are doing is wrong/bad, and have no clear understanding
of that is expected of them.

Yes, this could be seen as largely common-sense by some, but when it
comes to large communities comprised of many different cultures whose
primary communication channels are not face-to-face, it's often far from
obvious.

> but I agree good ones are
> prescriptive rather than proscriptive, like the KDE CoC linked above.
> The GNOME CoC is shorter, but still captures many (not all) of the
> same points:  http://live.gnome.org/CodeOfConduct

Oh, and +1 to using the gnome coc as a guide too, very nice.

-- Rex