fedora community working group

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jul 7 15:47:18 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 10:46 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 07/07/2010 10:16 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> > I'm still not sold on a code per se,
>
> At the risk of being repetitive, let me go into more why I firmly
> believe we need this badly.  I'd like to think that many(some?) of those
> folks that can be coerced/taught to be community-friendly simply do not
> know what they are doing is wrong/bad, and have no clear understanding
> of that is expected of them.
>
> Yes, this could be seen as largely common-sense by some, but when it
> comes to large communities comprised of many different cultures whose
> primary communication channels are not face-to-face, it's often far from
> obvious.

I have to ask this: Do you honestly believe that the poisonous people we
have in our community don't understand that what they are doing is
harmful? Are we to believe that they've never been in common human
society before, that fedora was their first introduction to
working/interacting with others?

I'm sorry, I don't think that's the case, they are not 'babes in the
woods'. They are toxic and a CoC is not gonna cut it, IMO.

-sv