fedora community working group

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 19:09:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 12:17 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at tummy.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 15:57:56 -0500
> Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
>
>> On the open question of how to discourage/prevent poisonous <foo>, I
>> suggest doing something similar as was done in the kde project a
>> couple of years ago to help deal with similar issues.  I propose
>> creating something in fedora akin to the 'kde community working
>> group', http://ev.kde.org/workinggroups/cwg.php
>>
>> I consider it vitally important that everyone in the fedora community
>> feel safe, know fedora supports them, and that there be a clear
>> contact person/group to go to in cases where they experience any
>> non-excellent behavior.
>>
>> Now, being excellent has taken us quite a ways, but I think it's time
>> to consider doing better, so...
>
> I like this as a possibly way to find areas of Fedora where our
> community isn't as welcoming as we all would like and have people that
> can join in and provide positive info and answers (ignoring or letting
> the unwelcoming people drift off to the fringe).

At the risk of making Greg burst out laughing, I think this is exactly
what the Fedora Project needs, a Nant'an in each sub-community of
Fedora who sets a proper tone and is followed because of his example,
not because he has any authority.

> I do think we should be carefull here not to empower this group with
> all kinds of punishment ability or enforcement. Negativity feeds on
> more Negativity. ;)

And this would be exactly what we don't need, a prison system run by
the Fedora Board or some other central authority. As soon as you add
the "or else" clause, enumerate powers to enforce and punish the evil
among us it transforms it from being a positive motivating statement
to being one that is based on inducing fear in the rabble. And the
rabble will just get more ornery.

Over time a code of conduct can frame our expectations. But I would
like those expectations to be *our* expectations of our own behavior,
not an understanding of what *you* expect from us.

John