fedora community working group

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 21:38:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 9:47 AM, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 10:46 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> On 07/07/2010 10:16 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>>
>> > I'm still not sold on a code per se,
>>
>> At the risk of being repetitive, let me go into more why I firmly
>> believe we need this badly.  I'd like to think that many(some?) of those
>> folks that can be coerced/taught to be community-friendly simply do not
>> know what they are doing is wrong/bad, and have no clear understanding
>> of that is expected of them.
>>
>> Yes, this could be seen as largely common-sense by some, but when it
>> comes to large communities comprised of many different cultures whose
>> primary communication channels are not face-to-face, it's often far from
>> obvious.
>>

> I have to ask this: Do you honestly believe that the poisonous people we
> have in our community don't understand that what they are doing is
> harmful? Are we to believe that they've never been in common human
> society before, that fedora was their first introduction to
> working/interacting with others?

>From general statistics of narcism in human populations etc, for ~5 of
them , they are not going to see what they do as harmful, and in the
end the only thing will be to exclude them . For the others I doubt
they are realize it or know what or how they are doing things are not
working. Having spent a lot of time lately with asperger's, a lot of
actions seem completely logical and came from good intentions but had
no idea on the effect it would have.

Nor do even most neuro-typical people understand that minority views
dealt with in face-to-face meetings get completely different human
reactions than in email exchanges..

> I'm sorry, I don't think that's the case, they are not 'babes in the
> woods'. They are toxic and a CoC is not gonna cut it, IMO.

Laws never stop crimes. However hanging people never seemed to stop
others from doing it later either. [To extend your wild-west analogy.]

A Code of Conduct or a Bill of Rights, are just words on paper or
things that a community uses to define itself. Depending on if "Broken
Window" social theory is correct.. (and its a big if I realize) little
things like Codes of Conduct if taken seriously mean a lot more to
temper out things than larger issues.

> -sv

Stephen J Smoogen.