fedora community working group

Paul Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 21:44:43 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 3:09 PM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 12:17 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at tummy.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 15:57:56 -0500
>> Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> On the open question of how to discourage/prevent poisonous <foo>, I
>>> suggest doing something similar as was done in the kde project a
>>> couple of years ago to help deal with similar issues.  I propose
>>> creating something in fedora akin to the 'kde community working
>>> group', http://ev.kde.org/workinggroups/cwg.php
>>>
>>> I consider it vitally important that everyone in the fedora community
>>> feel safe, know fedora supports them, and that there be a clear
>>> contact person/group to go to in cases where they experience any
>>> non-excellent behavior.
>>>
>>> Now, being excellent has taken us quite a ways, but I think it's time
>>> to consider doing better, so...
>>
>> I like this as a possibly way to find areas of Fedora where our
>> community isn't as welcoming as we all would like and have people that
>> can join in and provide positive info and answers (ignoring or letting
>> the unwelcoming people drift off to the fringe).
>
> At the risk of making Greg burst out laughing, I think this is exactly
> what the Fedora Project needs, a Nant'an in each sub-community of
> Fedora who sets a proper tone and is followed because of his example,
> not because he has any authority.

We do have quite a few people setting great examples out there. Both
Mr. Fenzi and Mr. Dieter are probably tired of being pointed out as
examples, but well... there you have it. ;-)  And they've each been
operating that way for years now, which is a good reason why this
issue should be taken seriously.

>> I do think we should be carefull here not to empower this group with
>> all kinds of punishment ability or enforcement. Negativity feeds on
>> more Negativity. ;)
>
> And this would be exactly what we don't need, a prison system run by
> the Fedora Board or some other central authority. As soon as you add
> the "or else" clause, enumerate powers to enforce and punish the evil
> among us it transforms it from being a positive motivating statement
> to being one that is based on inducing fear in the rabble. And the
> rabble will just get more ornery.
>
> Over time a code of conduct can frame our expectations. But I would
> like those expectations to be *our* expectations of our own behavior,
> not an understanding of what *you* expect from us.

John, I'm betting my expectations aren't far different from yours, but
I don't know for sure. Speaking as one friend and fellow community
member to another, what are your expectations of my behavior?

Paul