How to be a successful contributor

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Jul 12 01:58:07 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 12:46:43 -0500,
  Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:

> As far as sounding negative.  It's really hard to join the project right
> now.  New contributors make mistakes.  It is the volunteers job to do
> certain things.  It's worded that way because that's how things work.
> Sure, it'd be great to wave a magic wand and have it super easy for people
> to do whatever they want whenever they want but that's not the Fedora
> Project we're in today.  AFAIK no one has that project.

We have sort of a related problem with the Spins SIG. We want to get someone
to volunteer to be the Spins Wrangler. But after not getting any responses,
we thought about it and noticed that we didn't even have any collected
documentation on what the job is supposed be. So we are developing some now
in the hope that people or more likely to volunteer for something if they
know what they are volunteering to do.