Swag for FUDCons

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Mon Jul 19 15:50:30 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 11:36 AM, David Malcolm <dmalcolm at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 22:14 -0500, inode0 wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Mo Duffy brought up a good point in the Board IRC meeting:
>> >
>> > * * *
>> > <mizmo> jsmith, is there real value in the number of t-shirts we
>> > produce? could we be doing something to provide more value for the
>> $?
> [snip]
>
>> I will make one comment about t-shirts specifically. I think the value
>> the project gets from giving them away is exponentially higher when we
>> give them to existing contributors than when we give them to random
>> people at events. Existing contributors really appreciate them, they
>> wear them with pride, and they promote the project by doing so. In the
>> case of FUDCon, it is a small gesture of appreciation. And if you
>> don't want one, don't request one on the FUDCon wiki page.
>
> On a "promoting Fedora" note: has anyone looked at Fedora-themed badge
> lanyards?  (they're thing that you attach an event badge to, and wear
> round your neck).  I did a (very) quick search and found they come to
> $1-2 each for an order of over 100, single base color with a 1-color
> custom print on top.
>
> They can be reused between events, and it seems to me to be a cheap and
> effective way for people to show Fedora pride at both Fedora and
> non-Fedora events.  (For a multiday conference it's probably much more
> convenient than multiple T-shirts).
>
> Hope this is helpful
> Dave

We have - actually a couple of different times we've discussed it -
and even had an event (Atlanta Linux Fest, back when it still existed)
asking us to provide Fedora lanyards for the event in lieu of
sponsorship funds.

Sadly - we haven't had anyone who stepped up to coordinate with design
for artwork, get samples, get prices from various vendors, etc.

I personally would really like to see it - especially for
contributors, and it would be an interesting piece of swag, but it's
probably 10 or more hours worth of work to get it done right and no
one has stepped up for it (yet).