Swag for FUDCons

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 17:30:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:36 AM, David Malcolm <dmalcolm at redhat.com> wrote:
> On a "promoting Fedora" note: has anyone looked at Fedora-themed badge
> lanyards?  (they're thing that you attach an event badge to, and wear
> round your neck).  I did a (very) quick search and found they come to
> $1-2 each for an order of over 100, single base color with a 1-color
> custom print on top.
>
> They can be reused between events, and it seems to me to be a cheap and
> effective way for people to show Fedora pride at both Fedora and
> non-Fedora events.  (For a multiday conference it's probably much more
> convenient than multiple T-shirts).

I've been thinking some more about this. In my own past research I
think that getting nice, flexible (multiple attachment ends,
multicolored, etc.) lanyards ran between $2 and $3 each for the
quantities I looked at and that seemed a bit expensive to me for
general conference use where most people just wear what they are given
at the conference and get a new one at the next conference.

However, Fedora contributors who got these would wear them at multiple
conferences and are a better target to focus on for lanyard
advertising value. FUDCon swag traditionally has been produced by the
FUDCon organizers, not by the ambassadors, and this might be an
interesting option for them since giving away the lanyards at FUDCon
would hit the high value audience and could reduce the cost of event
swag for FUDCon. I'll make sure the FUDCon organizers are aware of the
suggestion so they can consider doing lanyards rather than t-shirts
this year.

John