Swag for FUDCons

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Mon Jul 19 19:18:13 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Eric "Sparks" Christensen
<sparks at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On 07/16/2010 03:08 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> Mo Duffy brought up a good point in the Board IRC meeting:
>>
>> * * *
>> <mizmo> jsmith, is there real value in the number of t-shirts we
>> produce? could we be doing something to provide more value for the $?
>> * * *
>>
>> Should we consider offering alternatives for FUDCon, or even general
>> events?  Some of the ideas proposed:
>>
>> * Offer a choice for recipients to get something more {eco-friendly,
>>   sustainable}, e.g. plant a tree
>>
>> * Offer the shirt in organic material if possible
>
> If we are going to buy something we might as well buy responsibly.  So
> much work has gone into power conservation in Fedora and RHEL that we
> should also be eco-responsible in the other things we do (LIVE USB
> installs instead of physical media, for example).

The problem there is money.
A LiveCD costs us (IIRC) arond 57 cents. DVDs are around 79cents.
The cheapest bulk order of 2GB USB drives cost $5 for the really
really cheap ones, and $7-9 for decently made units.

Right now, in NA - we hand out something on the order of 6000 CD/DVDs
per release. Even using the cheap USB drives, we'd be talking about
$30,000 per release, just in NA. In addition, we'd likely see demand
rise, as people realize that they can do other things with a 2GB USB
drive that they can't with a piece of pressed media.

Every release we discuss this, and it still hasn't become financially viable.