Swag for FUDCons

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Mon Jul 19 19:59:51 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The problem there is money.
>> A LiveCD costs us (IIRC) arond 57 cents. DVDs are around 79cents.
>> The cheapest bulk order of 2GB USB drives cost $5 for the really
>> really cheap ones, and $7-9 for decently made units.
>>
>> Right now, in NA - we hand out something on the order of 6000 CD/DVDs
>> per release. Even using the cheap USB drives, we'd be talking about
>> $30,000 per release, just in NA. In addition, we'd likely see demand
>> rise, as people realize that they can do other things with a 2GB USB
>> drive that they can't with a piece of pressed media.
>>
>> Every release we discuss this, and it still hasn't become financially viable.
>
> Oi I didn't know fobs were still so expensive. I would say that
> 'selling' branded keys would be a better idea then if it were possible
> at all. Or that there would be a limited number done for special
> give-aways.

At LWEs GNOME used to sell branded liveCDs for a minimal fee; they
paid for themselves very quickly and people liked the sense of
supporting us and getting something concrete in return. FSF's liveUSB
membership cards are another good alternative in this direction.

Of course, all that requires an entity to take the money...

Luis