MeeGo trademark status?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 16:56:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 08:19:53AM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> Spins SIG would like something definitive on the trademark status of the
> MeeGo spin. We'd like to know if we can consider it approved or if it
> should remain in Spins_Ready_For_Board status?

Spins are generally resubmitted if something substantial changes in
the Spin.

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=commitdiff;h=ec998bc2ce7e48a1a9853eb70b495ceaa97d7c3c

The component group is the only change in the kickstart; it's hard to
tell what that means in real terms (package changes).  I think the
easiest way to proceed is for the Board to simply treat it as a new
spin, and go through the approval process, which is pretty quick in
any case.

Whether the spin can use the MeeGo trademarks is a separate issue.
I've been working with Peter Robinson and am awaiting a response from
the Linux Foundation as to whether the name "MeeGo spin by Fedora" is
acceptable to them.  Their trademark guidelines[1] give examples of
pre-approved uses but this isn't one of them.  The closest we could
find was "Fedora Spin for MeeGo" which is a bit awkward, but would do
in a pinch if they don't approve the former name.

Jared and Board, comments?

* * *
[1] http://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/linux-foundation-trademark-usage-guidelines