Search Engine on start.fedoraproject.org

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Wed Jul 21 20:29:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 02:33:14PM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> It's been pointed out to me that start.fedoraproject.org is in violation
> of Infrastructure's free software policy:
>
> http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/csi/free-software-policy/en-US/html-single/#FreeSoftware-Standard-Choosing
>
> In particular the "Proprietary Dependence" clause.  Now, start.fp.o has
> existed long before the policy was put in place and a grandfather
> exception does exist.... but I thought I'd mention it.  This could be an
> opportunity to completely re-think the start.fedoraproject.org home page.
> I know that upon its design there was some major things in the works but
> AFAIK most if not all of them fell through and that search engine link was
> all that was left.

Right, we never got a revenue-sharing agreement in place (the same
challenges we've had in receiving money directly for any purpose) with
Google or any other search engine.  It's certainly fair to re-think it
completely.  I don't think it serves any particular good purpose at
present.  Even simply redirecting start.fp.o to the fp.o homepage
would be a good first step IMHO.

-Matt