Danish community site

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 21:39:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:12 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 03:33:09PM -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
>> To the larger audience - what are we doing wrong that we're seeing
>> several requests each week for a new regional/country/language site,
>> independent of the fedoraproject.org site?  I was amazed at the list
>> in Mo's mockup.  I don't feel that directing all our users to dozens
>> of different sites is the right approach...  Translations and legally
>> prohibited content aside, what else is driving this?
>
> I'm thinking that in fact it's being driven by the *awareness* of the
> fedoracommunity.org redesign that Mo is doing.  More visibility, and
> people suddenly start popping up to say, "Hey, I'd like to get one of
> those!"
>
> What we have to be vigilant about is development of barriers between
> the local community and the main Fedora Project.  Having local
> communities has enabled Fedora to spread around the world.  But we do
> want to maintain a unified project where everyone, whether they're in
> Nicaragua, the Netherlands, or New York, communicates centrally at
> some level.

I think Matt's question (if it wasn't, feel free to take it as mine)
was more like: why are we excluding the possibility of offering few
common hosted services for local communities so they all need to
reinvent their own wheel?

For example, I followed the discussion about forming the "official"
fedora-it community and the requirements were: a mailing list, a wiki,
some form of CMS and a forum. I guess most other local communities
could use more or less the same tools.

Fedora already run all of those services (save the forum, but the
drupal plugin Mo found lately [1] looks like a commpelling replacement
IMHO) and I don't think I need to list the benefits of offering a
common set of tools, readily usable and secured by default.

Of course I can't dismiss the additional load this would add on
infrastructure and a lot of (possibly very important) details are
missing, but again, I'd like to hear some convincing reason why we
can't offer this kind of service.

Cheers

G.

[1] http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/06/02/post-f13-fedora-design-team-status-and-first-meeting/