Search Engine on start.fedoraproject.org

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 18:31:26 UTC 2010

2010/7/23 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
> What on Red Hat's BZ is closed-source?

You are missing the subtle point.  How do I verify that it is. We know
its patched different from what is available as an upstream release.
Where is the patched codebase? How do I verify that its open? For all
I know there are proprietary patches for features Red Hat is using in
house. How do I verify that the service as instanced in what I can
interact with is really as open as I think it is?

I can't.. not easily... and the same can be said about any service
provider which claims to be running an open codebase.  Google could
come out and tell us that their entire service is BSD licensed and
we'd still have as much ability to replicate it from the sources they
use than we do right now. Which is nadda...and yet it would be an open
codebase.

-jef