Search Engine on start.fedoraproject.org

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 23 18:38:55 UTC 2010

> 2010/7/23 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
> > What on Red Hat's BZ is closed-source?
>
> You are missing the subtle point.  How do I verify that it is. We know
> its patched different from what is available as an upstream release.
> Where is the patched codebase? How do I verify that its open? For all
> I know there are proprietary patches for features Red Hat is using in
> house. How do I verify that the service as instanced in what I can
> interact with is really as open as I think it is?
>
> I can't.. not easily... and the same can be said about any service
> provider which claims to be running an open codebase.  Google could
> come out and tell us that their entire service is BSD licensed and
> we'd still have as much ability to replicate it from the sources they
> use than we do right now. Which is nadda...and yet it would be an open
> codebase.

I'm clearly quite biased but I trust Red Hat a lot more than I trust
Google, as Google has done several things to me personally to completely
lose my trust while Red Hat goes out of its way to do things the right
way.

If it wasn't for RH I'm not sure Fedora would be.... RH is not just
another service provider and any services RH provides (like BZ) are
provided to Fedora gratis...

~m