Search Engine on start.fedoraproject.org

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 23 18:59:38 UTC 2010

> 2010/7/23 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
> > I'm clearly quite biased but I trust Red Hat a lot more than I trust
> > Google, as Google has done several things to me personally to completely
> > lose my trust while Red Hat goes out of its way to do things the right
> > way.
>
> I don't disagree with you. I'm biased too. But we can't build a policy
> that encodes..bias. We have to build a policy that puts vendors on an
> equal footing.

Do we really?

If I need a cake for a party, and my mom is a baker, is it really cool
to put her work on equal footing with other bakers in the area? When,
you know, I wouldn't be alive without her? And she'll bake my cake for
free?

I think impartiality here is a myth. Red Hat is part of Fedora's family.
I feel that if you try to encode equality between Red Hat and some
random vendor into policy, you're going to fail so why bother?

>  We can still have meta arguments and make judgement
> calls about choosing particular vendors based on track record. I
> certainly don't intend to take intrastructure's or the board's power
> to say we trust vendor X over vendor Y because a track record of
> performance or unquantifiable on a case by case basis.
>
> But in the scope of this discussion about crafting policy we need to
> treat all vendors..neutrally to be credible. Red Hat can't be thought
> of as exceptional in the lens of policy on external service providers.

Why not?

I think any service provider that is part of Fedora's family and
supports Fedora should be considered over other vendors. E.g., we have
various hosting sponsors for our website that we have rotating banner
ads for. Certainly I'd like to see us supporting those businesses over
say Google.

>  If anything we have to continually hold Red Hat to a more exacting
> standard as a hedge against bias with the knowledge and the trust that
> Red Hat is committed to meeting the standard of performance this
> project puts forward.

Why?

~m