Danish community site

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 16:03:10 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Gianluca Sforna <giallu at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd really love to see a statement from Fedora about whether we can
> support local communities by giving them access to services hosted by
> FI.

<speaking for me, not the Board>

We already have a mechanism in place to localize pages on the wiki,
have an IRC channel for a particular country, have a mailing list,
etc. It's previously been said that we won't allow
*.fedoracommunity.org to point to Fedora Infrastructure in order to
maintain a separation of "this is run by the community, while this is
run by Fedora proper". There's legal issues, etc associated with
having certain content be seen as official Fedora content.

If the restrictions put in place by using Fedora Infrastructure (no
patent-encumbered codecs, no non-free software, etc) are acceptable
for a local community, and they simply wish to translate wiki pages,
have a mailing list, IRC channel, etc, then there's no reason that
Fedora Infrastructure can't meet those needs with services that we
offer today, at the fedoraproject.org domain.