Search Engine on start.fedoraproject.org

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 02:21:41 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 20:07, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think that you're weighing the possibility of running it ourselves too
>> much compared to the convenience of outsourcing.  If it truly is compelling
>> to outsource the service, that very likely means that it will be hard for us
>> to deploy and maintain it in house.  And if that's the case, then we don't
>> really save much by mandating simple API compatibility.
>>

> Explain to me again why we don't already an internal web search
> solution inside our infrastructure?

I would believe we don't because its not an easy problem. It sounds
easy (just index and save things) but then it turns into this complex
issue of dealing with keywords, languages, translations and turning up
searches quickly. Pretty much every place I have worked with has tried
to do their own search using some open source tool, and then gone to
google

> -jef

Stephen J Smoogen.