Search Engine on start.fedoraproject.org

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 21:31:01 UTC 2010

2010/7/24 Máirín Duffy <duffy.fedoraproject.org at linuxgrrl.com>:
> Is there a reason for what I detect to be a tinge of paranoia here? There is
> a world of difference between a well-meaning FLOSS code upstream making an
> honest mistake and a provider lying about their FLOSS-ness. I hear about the
> former all the time, the latter -never-. Is it really a concern?

I am confused over a couple of issues:

1) What do you mean by  paranoia and where?
2) What was the question that there is paranoia about?

I thought the discussion was whether or not we should provide a
start.fedoraproject.org ourselves or get rid of it. I have been
discussing in any form the former. We can't provide an open source
search engine to replace Google or Bing or Yahoo. We are neither
staffed, budgeted, or knowledgeable to do something at even the level
of the original AltaVista. Having had to replace several
ill-performing search programs with Google at previous jobs.. I am not
sure how well we could do ourselves in a way that people consider
'relevant' any more.

Now if the question is that we should remove/redirect
start.fedoraproject.org from a 'cover' of google to say a page that
explains what Fedora Project is about, what people can expect from the
community (and vice versa), how to join, etc etc. I am all for that.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.