Planet Fedora guidelines?

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Fri Jun 18 14:57:07 UTC 2010

2010/6/18 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
> On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 07:14 -0700, Luis Villa wrote:
>> Insecure much?
>
> Snarky much?
>
> This is why I hate mailing lists. Would you ask me that to my face?

Yes, actually, though it would have had more nuance and you'd have the
right to give me a good smack or walk away, both of which are hard
here.

Seth asked about Chrome and Firefox; I think
http://twitter.com/mozillafavs might be instructive- these are tweets
that Mozilla employees retweet to the world from screens inside our
office. They frequently contain positive comments about Chrome and
negative comments about Firefox- complaints about crashes, kudos to
our competitors, etc. That's the right response to problems like this-
don't say 'ban them!', acknowledge and embrace the competition, and
then ask 'why is this happening? what do we do to make ourselves
competitive so that this doesn't happen?' While you can argue whether
or not Mozilla is doing this effectively, I think it is hard to argue
that it isn't a healthier long-term approach than the reflexive
whining about Ubuntu that seems (at least to this relative outsider)
to have permeated the Fedora culture.

[And of course 'any shmuck can add himself to planet and talk about
non-fedora things' is a different problem from 'there is a giant logo
of our competitors on our planet.' The first is worth worrying and
thinking about, but the second... again, not so much.]

Luis