proposal for the board: planet fedora != fedora people

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Fri Jun 18 18:00:07 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:37:18PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> Hi ,
>  so planet.fedoraproject.org used to be title 'fedorapeople' b/c it was
> about the fedora people.
>
> So here's the idea:
>
> make planet.fedoraproject.org be ONLY about fedora and/or related
> technologies/events/etc - just enforce a fedora 'tag'.
>
> and make:
> planet.fedoraproject.org/people/ be the anything-goes aggregate.

-1 from me.

I understand the concern raised generally - we want to keep content
appropriate - the challenge is, this is a societal/community norms
discussion then.  I presume someone has contacted this particular
author privately already (likely his Ambassador sponsor; if not, let's
be sure that happens).

For this technical proposal:

1) It doesn't solve the problem of inappropriate content in a
technical way.  Someone could just as easily put a Fedora tag on their
inappropriate content, and land it on both.

2) it creates yet-another-place for remarkably similar content, and i
think we're mighty spread out as it is.

Unless we're going to start having a set of human filters on whatever
might get aggregated, we're going to occasionally have a problem post.
But in those few cases, let's try correcting the individuals involved,
rather than try to police it apriori.

I do agree it would be appropriate to create a set of planet
guidelines and recommendations, which, if blatently and repeatedly
broken, may result in loss of aggregation privilages.

Thanks,
Matt